October 19, 2020 at 12:52 pm #531
This thread is strictly for the verifiable facts surrounding Covid and the lockdown measures.
Please follow the following format:
State the fact(s) – please be as concise as possible
Link to the Source – provide the link to your source
Do not post without linking to your source. Please use only reputable sources and stick to facts that are relevant to Covid and the lockdown measures.
This thread is an experiment. Please respect the rules or it will be taken down.
October 19, 2020 at 1:27 pm #540
Calgary Mask Bylaw Fine and Requirements
Where are masks required?
In all public spaces including public transit, public vehicles for hire (taxis and Uber), public indoor spaces (malls, grocery stores, retail businesses, churches and mosques), City Hall, public libraries and recreation centers.
What are the exceptions?
- Children under 2 years of age
- People with underlying medical conditions or disabilities inhibiting their ability to wear a face covering
- People who are unable to place, use or remove a face covering safely without assistance
- People who are eating or drinking at a public premises that offers food or beverage services
- People engaging in an athletic or fitness activity
- People who are caregiving for or accompanying a person with a disability where wearing a face covering would hinder the accommodation of the person’s disability (for example, the ability to lip read)
- People who have temporarily removed their face covering where doing so is necessary to provide or receive a service (for example, a visit to the dentist)
Source: City of Calgary
November 3, 2020 at 6:05 pm #660
An Evidence-Based Scientific Analysis of Why Masks are Ineffective, Unnecessary and Harmful.
November 15, 2020 at 2:55 am #815JondcParticipant
Fact: Medical facemasks are not effective at reducing the spread of viruses.
Source (From the CDC): https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article
This study, published by the CDC in May of this year, outlines over seven decades worth of real-world, empirical data on the effectiveness of facemasks and handwashing against viral spread. This study finds that there is some evidence that handwashing is effective at reducing viral spread but there is no significant evidence that facemasks reduce viral spread. This study is specific to influenza, but can be reasonably extrapolated to COVID-19 as approximately 20-50% of influenza viruses are coronaviruses depending on the year and region.
Excerpts from the study:
“In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I<sup>2</sup> = 30%, p = 0.25)”
“We did not find evidence that surgical-type face masks are effective in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza transmission, either when worn by infected persons (source control) or by persons in the general community to reduce their susceptibility”
I suggest that people save a digital copy of this study on their computers in addition to printing physical copies of it. I anticipate that the study could be removed from the internet as its exposure increases.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.